Walker Baptist Church was founded east of Pauls Valley in the Walker community in 1948 as a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. During the first seven years the Church met in the Walker School. In 1954 a new building was constructed. An additional Fellowship Hall with kitchen facilities was completed in 1988.
Eventually structural problems developed in the original Church building. It was decided to replace the structure with a new Sanctuary. All services were temporarily moved to the Fellowship Hall during the construction. The current Sanctuary was dedicated in 2002.
Constituted as a local, independent, New Testament church with 25 charter members, the Walker Baptist Church has gone through the stages of infanthood in organization and has completed the first stage or span, its first seven years of growth. With ebbs and tides, successes and failures, heartaches and happinesses, this church has progressed with 25 baptisms and 31 letters received in its first year and the number of baptisms varying from ten to none per year to its present membership of eighty-one, sixty of whom are resident members.
Realizing a need almost immediately for a house of worship, for the church was meeting in the schoolhouse, a program was begun which was to continue through these seven years as the people built a sanctuary for God and which was to consumated in the laying of this cornerstone tonight. Through its difficulties and triumphs the building program has methodically plodded along step by step under the careful, faithful insistance of its deacons, especially that of Mr. Sherwood Tripp, whose loyalty and allegiance to this program is best affirmed by the reality of the building as it stands today. Within the stucco and stone, the wood and glass is contained the spirit and contribution of each member and many friends, and the building stands today as a mute testimony of the desire of the people of this area to have the influence of God felt in all the lives residing here. The building was formally dedicated as a special house with all-day services on Sunday, November 28, 1954.
The church has been blessed by the leadership of three former pastors in its brief life, Rev. Winston Neal, Rev. O. A. Forehand, and Rev. Roy Black. through their leadership fifty-seven people have been baptized and fifty-nine people have been added by letter. Ath the present time, the church's pastor is Rev. Paul A. Maxey, and as it nears the end of its eighth associational year, the church will report at least thirteen baptisms and five additions by letter.
The church has cheerfully given sums of money to the program of world missions through the Cooperative Program ranging per year from $52.47 to $492.57 and has spent is excess of five thousand dollars in the eriction of its new building not to include the labor and time donated by members and friends.
Conscious of the history upon which this church has been built and relying upon God's help for the glorious years that are to come, we the members of the Walker Baptist Church do lay our cornerstone signifying our faith in Jesus the chief cornerstone this tenth day of July, 1955, and thereby resolve to make our church spiritually the most victorious and outstanding Lighthouse possible for the sake of Jesus Christ, Whose we are and Whom we serve, and His Kingdom.